Container Media Sampling
- Collect a representative sample of the media by combining 5 to 10 subsamples into a single sample bag.
- Exclude the top 1/2 inch of media, but otherwise sample from the top to the bottom of the pot.
- Submit about 2 cups of media for Spurway analysis; for SME a quart is better.
- Problem areas should be sampled separately.
- For best results, follow the same procedure each time you sample so results can be compared and trends established.
- Place the sample in a pot and water until drainage occurs.
- When drainage stops, place the sample in a bag and submit to lab.
Irrigation and Fertilizer Water Sampling
- Allow the water to run for 5 minutes to clear the lines.
- Rinse a clean plastic bottle several times with the water/fertilizer to be tested.
- Fill the bottle with approximately 1 pint (2 cups) of water and securely cap.
- Clearly label the bottle.
Plant Samples for Greenhouses and Nurseries
Plant analysis is available for commercial customers.
- Submitt about one full cup of plant tissue if possible.
- Avoid dusty or contaminated samples.
- If necessary, wash gently with demineralized water to remove contaminants; DO NOT wash dried tissue.
- Place tissue in a loose fitting paper or cloth bag; refrigerate samples stored in plastic bags.
Samples should be submitted with a Diagnostic Plant Analysis Request Form (.PDF).
For questions about sampling instructions and interpretations call the appropriate U of M Extension Specialist:
- Floriculture Plants: (612) 624-9703
- Horticultural Vegetable or Fruit: (612) 625-8114
- Nursery Trees and Shrubs: 612) 624-7432
- Agronomic Plants: (612) 625-6210 or (612) 625-1772